Sunday, October 24, 2010

July 2010 Oregon Hedge-a-palooza


Posted by Picasa
This is a family reunion we have been looking forward to since I was pregnant. It has always been important to us that Kaige meet his Great Great Grandma Blanchard. I love the way people speak of Alice Blanchard. All of her posterity speaks of her with the utmost of love and respect. She is a wonderful woman who continues to send birthday cards to every single one of us. I'm so thankful that we were able to make the trip and get a photo with 5 generations in it. Not all kids are that special. :) Now Kaige has met all of his Grandparents, 6 Great Grandparents, and 1 Great Great Grandma.

It was quite the adventure getting to Portland. We had overbooked standby tickets and even a trip to the ER because of a scorpion sting to get in the way. But once we made it, this reunion was a wonderful vacation.

Kaige got to meet both his Great Great Grandma, and his Great Grandma along with many "Great" Aunts and Uncles. We all had a blast, but watching Kaige enjoy himself was the real treat. He would get anyone he could to hold him out on the balcony and point to the birds, ocean, and moon. He got his Aunt Jessica to keep running into the waves, and learned how to cheer Yes from his Papa and his Great Uncle David.


I had only met some of Josh's family once on a whirlwind trip that was less than 48 hours. I enjoyed getting to know them better as we all stayed at a beach house in Lincoln City on the coast. They are all wonderful. We were given car seats, cribs, bedrooms, and just about anything else we needed to make our traveling experience as cheap and comfortable as possible.

I was nervous about Kaige and his sleep schedule for the trip. We hadn't been very successful on previous trips, and I didn't want us to all be miserable because of a cranky tired toddler. The first nap there, we put him to bed and he didn't make a peep. What? Not a protest, or scream?This was just too good to be true, but I didn't dare check him for fear I would ruin a good thing. My curiosity got the best of me and as I peeked in I was surprised to see him asleep in the midst of a white munchkin wonderland. No wonder he didn't make noise. He didn't want anyone to come in there and put an end to his fun. There was a table close to the pack and play with a box of tissues sitting on it. He grabbed that box of tissues and pulled, played, and threw them all over. It was the funniest thing to find him asleep in the midst of all this soft torn up tissue. I wish I had gotten a picture of his fun!

We enjoyed the weekend filled with cards, food, outings, reunion, the beach and most of all great company. I am thankful for the love that the family I married into has for each other and the fun they have when they all get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment